Drone Attack on el‑Obeid Home Kills 13, Including Eight Children, Jan 6
Updated (2 articles)
Drone Strike Hits Residential Home in El‑Obeid On 6 January 2026 a drone struck a house in the Sudanese city of el‑Obeid, killing at least 13 people, eight of whom were children, according to the Sudan Doctors’ Network [1]. Medical sources said most victims belonged to a single family, explaining the high death toll [1]. Witnesses described the neighbourhood as residential, confirming the target was a civilian dwelling rather than a military site [1].
Medical Groups Attribute Attack to Rapid Support Forces Medics told reporters they believe the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces carried out the strike, although no group has formally claimed responsibility [1]. The allegation fits a pattern of RSF attempts to push into army‑controlled districts of el‑Obeid [1]. The city has been contested for months, with RSF seeking to expand its influence toward Khartoum and Darfur [1].
El‑Obeid’s Strategic Position Fuels Intensified Fighting Analysts note el‑Obeid sits on the main corridor between Khartoum and Darfur, making it a valuable logistical hub for the RSF [1]. Control of the city would give the RSF a direct route for troop movements and supply lines [1]. Its strategic value has prompted repeated attacks and counter‑attacks by both sides [1].
Series of Recent Strikes Target Infrastructure Around El‑Obeid The drone strike followed a RSF attack on an el‑Obeid power plant earlier in the week [1]. The Sudanese army also reported an attempted RSF drone assault on the Merowe hydro‑electric dam [1]. These incidents suggest a coordinated campaign targeting infrastructure and strategic sites around the city [1].
Conflict Near Third Year Leaves Millions Displaced The conflict entered its third year in 2026, with UN estimates of over 11 million people displaced and hundreds of thousands killed [1]. Humanitarian agencies warn that widespread sexual violence is being used as a weapon of war [1]. The civilian casualties in el‑Obeid underscore the growing humanitarian crisis [1].
Timeline
April 2023 – Sudanese Armed Forces begin conducting airstrikes with unguided bombs in populated areas, marking the start of a documented campaign that later kills over 1,700 civilians and injures more than 1,100, according to Sudan Witness analysis of 384 strikes through July 2025 [2].
August 2024 – The Sudanese Air Force bombs el‑Daein hospital, killing 16 patients and staff, exemplifying the pattern of targeting health facilities in civilian zones highlighted by the Sudan Witness report [2].
2024 – Airstrikes hit the Zamzam displacement camp and the Hamrat al‑Sheikh market, the latter killing 30 civilians, underscoring the widespread targeting of humanitarian sites and marketplaces throughout the conflict [2].
Late 2025 – The Rapid Support Forces strike a power plant in el‑Obeid, intensifying battles over the strategic city that lies between Khartoum and Darfur and setting the stage for further attacks on civilian infrastructure [1].
Late 2025 – The RSF attempts a drone attack on the Merowe hydro‑electric dam, reflecting a broader campaign of targeting critical infrastructure in the lead‑up to 2026 [1].
Dec 8, 2025 – Sudan Witness publishes a comprehensive study documenting at least 1,700 civilian deaths and 1,120 injuries from SAF airstrikes between April 2023 and July 2025, confirming the use of SH‑250 munitions and highlighting gaps in data collection [2].
Jan 6, 2026 – A drone strike on a residential house in el‑Obeid kills at least 13 people, including eight children; medics accuse the Rapid Support Forces of carrying out the attack, which follows recent strikes on the city’s power plant and a failed RSF drone attempt on the Merowe dam, and underscores the city’s strategic importance as a corridor between the capital and Darfur [1].
2026 (ongoing) – The Sudanese conflict enters its third year, with more than 11 million people displaced and widespread reports of sexual violence, creating one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises and framing the civilian toll of recent attacks [1].
All related articles (2 articles)
External resources (6 links)
- http://bbcafrica.com/ (cited 2 times)
- https://twitter.com/BBCAfrica (cited 2 times)
- https://www.facebook.com/BBCnewsafrica/ (cited 2 times)
- https://www.instagram.com/bbcafrica/ (cited 2 times)
- https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=pfbid04RhAwRsdAhhzyfggkQkcGEn1dBJExy1bdN73MQFv29phctpRx2Te51iKP5B5frndl&id=61556644390983 (cited 1 times)
- https://www.info-res.org/sudan-airstrikes-hub (cited 1 times)