Court‑Ordered Stay Ignored, Babson Freshman Deported to Honduras Amid Legal Clash
Updated (7 articles)
Detention at Boston Airport Leads to Immediate Removal Lopez Belloza, a 19‑year‑old Babson College freshman with no criminal record, was stopped at Logan Airport on Nov 20 while preparing to fly home to Texas for Thanksgiving and was flown to Honduras two days later, her first return since age 8 [1][2][3][4][5]. She remained in Honduras with grandparents as her attorney filed a habeas petition seeking her return [1][2]. The rapid deportation occurred despite an emergency court order issued on Nov 21 directing officials to keep her in the United States for at least 72 hours [4][5].
Government Apologizes but Defends Underlying Removal Order During a Boston federal hearing, a Trump‑administration lawyer acknowledged the mistake, describing it as the action of a single ICE officer and offering a formal apology [4][5]. Prosecutors argued the deportation complied with a 2016 removal order that the Board of Immigration Appeals upheld in 2017, asserting that other relief avenues were available but not pursued [2][4][5]. The administration maintained the removal was lawful even though the court order had been violated [2][3].
Judge Highlights Jurisdiction Questions and Refuses Contempt U.S. District Judge Richard Stearns expressed appreciation for the apology but declined to hold the government in contempt, noting the violation appeared unintentional [1][2][3][4][5]. He raised doubts about the court’s jurisdiction because the emergency order was filed after Lopez Belloza had already left Massachusetts [2][3]. The judge urged the government to consider multiple remedial options, including issuing a non‑immigrant student visa to allow her to resume studies [1][5].
Attorney Pushes for Expedited Return Plan Amid Conflicting Orders Todd Pomerleau filed a motion demanding a 14‑day plan from DHS and the State Department to restore Lopez Belloza’s status quo, citing possible T‑visa or student‑visa pathways [2][3]. He referenced similar cases such as Kilmar Abrego Garcia to argue for swift judicial direction [3]. The attorney also asserted that Lopez Belloza had been told no removal order existed, contradicting the government’s claim [1].
Discrepancies Center on Existence of Removal Order and Timing of Court Authority Government officials cite a 2016 removal order and a 2017 BIA dismissal as legal basis, while Lopez Belloza’s prior counsel told her no such order existed [1][2]. The emergency court order’s applicability after she left Massachusetts remains contested, creating a split between the administration’s jurisdiction argument and the judge’s willingness to entertain remedial measures [2][4][5].
Sources
-
1.
AP: Babson Student Deportation Mistake Prompts Bid to Return to the U.S.: Details the detention, deportation, government apology, and the lawyer’s habeas petition seeking a student‑visa solution, emphasizing the judge’s call for multiple remedies .
-
2.
WBNS: Babson Freshman Mistakenly Deported to Honduras After Court Order Error: Highlights the government’s apology, the claim of a prior removal order, and the attorney’s 14‑day plan request, noting the judge’s jurisdiction concerns .
-
3.
King5: Babson Freshman Deported to Honduras After Mistaken Removal as Government Apologizes in Court: Focuses on the deportation timeline, the existence of a removal order versus a stay order, and the attorney’s citation of comparable cases .
-
4.
CNN: US Apologizes for Deportation Mistake of Babson Student but Defends Removal: Stresses the government’s apology, the 72‑hour emergency order, and the administration’s argument that the underlying 2016 removal order justified the action .
-
5.
AP: US Apologizes in Court for Deportation Mistake Involving Babson Student: Provides a broader context linking this case to other deportations despite court orders, and outlines the judge’s refusal to hold the government in contempt while suggesting possible return options .
Timeline
Nov 20, 2025 – Lucia Lopez Belloza, a 19‑year‑old Babson College freshman, is detained at Boston Logan International Airport while attempting to board a flight to Texas for Thanksgiving. She has no criminal record and is unaware of any pending removal. “I was numb and shocked,” she later tells the Associated Press from Honduras. [5][6]
Nov 21, 2025 – A federal judge issues an emergency order directing immigration officials to keep Lopez Belloza in Massachusetts—or elsewhere in the United States—for at least 72 hours to allow time for review or appeal. The order explicitly bars her removal pending further proceedings. [1][3][5]
Nov 22, 2025 – Despite the emergency stay, ICE officers deport Lopez Belloza to Texas and then on to Honduras, marking her first return since age 8. She remains with her grandparents while her legal team prepares a habeas petition. [1][5][6]
2015 (historical) – An immigration judge originally orders that Lopez Belloza not be removed from Massachusetts or the United States, establishing a legal shield that later court orders reference. [4]
2016 (historical) – A separate immigration judge issues a removal order against Lopez Belloza and her mother; the Board of Immigration Appeals upholds the order in 2017, creating the government’s claim of a valid underlying deportation order. [1][3][6]
Dec 1, 2025 – Babson College’s dean of campus life, Caitlin Capozzi, directs faculty and staff to provide academic and community support to Lopez Belloza and her family, while President Stephen Spinelli posts a public statement acknowledging the situation but citing legal constraints on further comment. [4]
Jan 14, 2026 – At a Boston federal hearing, Assistant U.S. Attorney Mark Sauter “sincerely apologizes” and frames the deportation as an inadvertent mistake by a single ICE officer. Prosecutors argue the 2016 removal order remains lawful, but acknowledge the emergency stay was violated. Judge Richard Stearns calls the incident a “tragic bureaucratic mistake” and declines to hold the government in contempt. [3][1]
Jan 15, 2026 – The government reiterates that the error does not nullify the underlying removal order, while the judge notes the violation was not willful and suggests possible remedies, such as reopening the removal order or issuing a non‑immigrant student visa to let Lopez Belloza finish her studies. [1][3]
Jan 16, 2026 – Attorney Todd Pomerleau files a motion demanding a 14‑day plan to return Lopez Belloza, proposing options like a T‑visa for trafficking victims or a student visa, despite the prior removal order. Judge Stearns questions his jurisdiction because the filing occurs after the deportation, yet he acknowledges the government’s apology and the need for a concrete path forward. [6][2][7]
Jan 16, 2026 – In a separate filing, Lopez Belloza’s lawyer cites comparable cases (Kilmar Abrego Garcia and “O.C.G.”) to press for expedited relief, while the Department of Homeland Security declines comment. The student expresses renewed hope, saying the mistake “has turned my life upside down” but that the apology offers a glimmer of possibility for return. [2][7]
All related articles (7 articles)
-
AP: Babson student deportation mistake prompts bid to return to the U.S.
-
WBNS (Columbus, OH): Babson freshman mistakenly deported to Honduras after court order error
-
King5 (Seattle, WA): Babson freshman deported to Honduras after mistaken removal as government apologizes in court
-
CNN: US apologizes for deportation mistake of Babson student but defends removal
-
AP: US apologizes in court for deportation mistake involving Babson student
-
AP: Babson College Offers Support to Student Deported to Honduras
-
AP: Babson College Freshman Deported to Honduras Despite 2015 Court Order